Monday, March 8, 2010

My Good Friend Juan

I know a man Juan who is a recent convert to my faith.  He is a great man from Mexico originally now residing in the Oxford, PA area.  This fellow has embraced the gospel of Jesus Christ and wants more than anything to be a good member of his church.  He embodies the practice of serving his fellow man and is an example to us all.

As I spent time with him yesterday, visiting other members of the church, I couldn't help but think of how much my grandfather would have liked Juan.  My Grandfather never served a full time mission, he had to support a family.  He did, however, tirelessly spread the gospel to those around him.  He had an affinity to our Spanish speaking brothers and sisters.  He was self taught in the basics of the Spanish language and prided himself in singing many primary songs from memory.  He studied from the Spanish and English Book of Mormon to further his knowledge of the language and the more importantly the gospel.  I have a great love for my Grandfather and I know he would have loved Juan and that Juan would love him as well.

I spoke to Juan about my grandfather and he expressed a desire to meet him someday which I have no doubt he will.  Juan's testimony is growing everyday and he is an example to me and to all those he comes in contact with.  He reminds me of King Lamoni's father who says in Alma 22:18 ".... I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day."

No comments: